I used to coach basketball in Fairy Tale Land, but it was way too stressful so I had to give it up. Here are the problems I had to deal with:
- Cinderella was our point guard, but I couldn’t get her to stop running away from the ball.
- Little Red Riding Hood would get so distracted by the other team’s big ears, and big eyes, that they would steal the ball from her with their big hands.
- Basketball just wasn’t the Little Mermaid’s game. She was like a fish out of water.
- Snow White wasn’t bad, but she kept getting her shot blocked. I can’t really blame her, after all, the 7 guys she used to play with were a little “vertically challenged.”
- Sleeping beauty kept falling asleep on defense.
- And Goldilocks was the most annoying of all. Whenever she wasn’t in the game she would constantly be complaining about the bench being too hard or too soft. It was never just right.
Okay, so maybe I really wasn’t the coach of the Fairy Tale Land basketball team, but you can kind of picture the problems that would come up can’t you? You know that those cute little quirky details from the storybook would get mighty tiresome if you had to live with them day in and day out. Like imagine how long it must take Rapunzel to get ready in the morning? Or imagine having to wear glass slippers all the time. And while I am sure that Cinderella’s voice is beautiful, it would sure get annoying to hear her singing all the time. And that’s just one princess. It seems like singing is a pre-requisite for most of the princesses, so imagine all of them singing constantly, not to mention all the birds and mice and other animals getting in the way.
Of course, Fairy Tale Land doesn’t really exist. Life isn’t a fairy tale is it? At least it doesn’t feel like it most of the time. We may have some fairy-tale kind of moments in our lives from time to time, but we also have a bunch of unfairy-tale kind of moments too. The question is, are we headed for a happily ever after ending?
Well, this Sunday we are going to be talking about our sometimes unfairy-tale like lives as we take a look at the book of Esther. I invite you to come and join us.October 27th, 2011
Topic: Random Fun, Random Thoughts, blog Tags: church, fairy tale, reflection