Yesterday in church I talked about loving your neighbor. The sermon was from Matthew 22:34-40, where Jesus answers the question, “which is the greates commandment?” To hear the sermon you can go to “pages” above and use the link for “online sermons.” I wrapped things up this week with a very specific, almost homework-like challenge for us to love our neighbors this week. We are to do that by praying for them throughout the week and then doing some act of kindness for them on the weekend. This coming Sunday we will follow things up to see how it went.
I am excited to hear the stories when we get back together next Sunday. This is something that God has commanded us to do, so we know it is His will. And when we are operating in His will, watch out, because He does some pretty incredible things.
So maybe you were in church on Sunday and heard the challenge, or maybe you are just hearing about this for the first time right now. Either way, let me challenge you to choose to tangibly love your neighbor in some way this week. And in order to help, here are a few suggestions…
- Mow their lawn
- Rake their leaves
- Take over a pan of brownies
- Order a pizza over the phone and have it sent to their home instead of yours
- Make a nice homemade card just to let them know you were thinking of them
- Pick up the trash on your street
- Help them with a project they are working on
- Wash their car
- Deliver the newspaper to the front step
- Invite them over for dinner
If you have any other ideas, please feel free to post them.